ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  17/NOV/2005 11:08 AM
Assunto:  To smart

Mensagem: 

Let me emphasize something.  "To smart" means "to hurt a little, to sting."  It is used humorously to understate the level of pain, to make a major injury appear very minor.  If a mosquito bites you, does the bite smart?  Sure.  Is it a major pain?  Of course not.  If you break your leg, does it smart?  No, of course not.  A broken leg hurts a lot.  However, we can make a joke about the pain by talking about it as if it were meaningless, nothing, of no consequence.  If I say "My broken leg smarts", I'm comparing the pain of the broken leg to the bite of a mosquito, to the irritation of ocean water in my eye, to the prick of a needle.  I am taking a major pain and turning it into a joke, something I can laugh about, something you can laugh about.  I'm not asking for pity and I'm not feeling sorry for myself, I'm telling you that the broken leg is merely a temporary inconvenience, nothing for you to be concerned about, something that happens to me three or four times a week.  No big deal.  This must be a difficult concept to understand, but "to smart" is a very common expression in American English, as is the use of the understatement as a form of humor. 

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
AmSlang #9  –  Dale/RS  17/NOV/2005, 9:44 AM
 To smart  –  Dale/RS  17/NOV/2005, 11:08 AM
Just smart  –  Johannes  17/NOV/2005, 11:45 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K