LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  18/NOV/2005 12:20 PM
Assunto:  AmSlang #10

Mensagem: 

Back seat driver
Someone who is constantly giving instructions or advice to a driver
(1) I hate to have a passenger constantly tell me to brake, slow down, speed up, turn here, turn there, etc.  Someday I'm going to buy a car with two steering wheels:  one for me, and one for the back seat driver.  If back seat drivers know so much, why aren't they driving?

(2) Stop being a back seat driver.  Want to drive?  Here are the keys, fool.

(a) End of story
(b) That was all she wrote
Said at the end of a description, account, explanation, etc. to emphasis that something has ended, that it no longer exists, that there is no further pertinent information about the subject.  (b) Seems to be more commonly used in reference to things, not people.
(1) The car hit the bridge, went over the side into the water, and disappeared under the ice.  That was all she wrote. 
(2) She had a promising career but she married a drunk, had four kids, stopped writing novels, and became a soccer mom.  Goodbye career.  End of story.
(3) I asked the boss for a raise, he said the company couldn't afford it, and I was fired.  I'm looking for another job now.  End of story.
(4) I dropped the laptop, it broke, and that was all she wrote.

Back to basics
A return to the fundamentals
(1) We've tried this theory and that in the classroom, but nothing seems to work.  It's time to get back to basics.  Let's forget about these new ideas for a while.
(2) Instead of this emphasis on fancy strumming techniques for the cavaquinho, let's get back to the basics and work on chords.
(3) We're wasting time teaching students how to drive on freeways.  It's time to get back to basics and teach them how to park and use a standard transmission.

To pull the wool over someone's eyes
To fool, deceive, defraud
(1)You can't pull the wool over my eyes.  I know the truth.
(2)Jack tried to pull the wool over Sam's eyes, telling him he was broke.  Sam knew, however, that Jack had just been paid.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 AmSlang #10  –  Dale/RS  18/NOV/2005, 12:20 PM
AmSlang #10  –  CR  18/NOV/2005, 12:29 PM
AmSlang #10  –  Dale/RS  18/NOV/2005, 2:52 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K