Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  José Roberto
E-mail:  josezambon@merconet.com.br
Data:  11/JUN/2003 10:34 PM
Assunto:  Is English a bad language or not?

Mensagem:  Hello people I saw this poem very long ago, now I've come across it again, maybe a lot of you have seen it, it not, enjoy :) Of course for a lot of people, English gt; is not their first language. So, in celebration of the gt; complexities of the English language, we bring you the gt; following: gt; gt; gt; Lets face it gt; English is a stupid language. gt; There is no egg in the eggplant gt; No ham in the hamburger gt; And neither pine nor apple in the pineapple. gt; English muffins were not invented in England gt; French fries were not invented in France. gt; gt; We sometimes take English for granted gt; But if we examine its paradoxes we find that gt; Quicksand takes you down slowly gt; Boxing rings are square gt; And a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. gt; gt; If writers write, how come fingers don't fing. gt; If the plural of tooth is teeth gt; Should! n't the plural of phone booth be phone beeth gt; If the teacher taught, gt; Why didn't the preacher praught. gt; gt; If a vegetarian eats vegetables gt; What the heck does a humanitarian eat!? gt; Why do people recite at a play gt; Yet play at a recital? gt; Park on driveways and gt; Drive on parkways gt; How can the weather be as hot as hell on one day gt; And as cold as hell on another gt; gt; You have to marvel at the unique lunacy gt; Of a language where a house can burn up as gt; It burns down gt; And in which you fill in a form gt; By filling it out gt; And a bell is only heard once it goes! gt; gt; English was invented by people, not computers gt; And it reflects the creativity of the human race gt; (Which of course isn't a race at all) gt; ! gt; That is why gt; When the stars are out they are visible gt; But when the lights are out they are invisible gt; And why it is that when I wind up my watch gt; It starts gt; But when I wind up this poem gt; It ends.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 Is English a bad language or not?  –  José Roberto  11/JUN/2003, 10:34 PM
Re: Is English a bad language or not?  –  pat  12/JUN/2003, 8:11 AM
Re: Is English a bad language or not?  –  José Roberto  12/JUN/2003, 10:52 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K