Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  pat
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  30/NOV/2005 10:22 AM
Assunto:  Still about yonder and beyond.

Mensagem:  I was born in California, but havn't lived there in any meaningful sense. I've been back for one visit, to northern Cal. Definitely didn'thear any southern accents, but very many Hispanic and oriental ones. Iwould guess of those 36 million speakers you mentioned, easily half are speaking dialects heavily influenced by native-speakers of Spanish or other languages.

The native-speaking 'Anglo' accent of California and the rest of the northwest is a curious one, and I believe strongly influenced by the accent of western Canada, which itself has some similarities with the Midwest  American accent but is much more strongly influenced by more recent British. Maybe you know more about that. Both are distinctly different from the SAE of the east coast, which is effectively a class variety of the Mid-Atlantic accent, found in groups of speakers from Delaware to Conn.

Just as Britain has far more diversity of dialects than North America, so the east coast has more regional and class dialects than farther west. For instance, the vast region from up-state NY to the north-west, and from south-central Canada to perhaps Iowa, is effectively one dialect with a very consistent accent. The much smaller region of the eastern seaboard from Florida to Nova Scotia has numerous class and cultural accents and regional dialects. Coastal southern, southernblack, in-land southern, mid-atlantic (strongly influenced by the Quakers), old-time yankee (which extends into the Canadian maritimes), Portuguese yankee, black urban, mid-atlantic urban, nyurban with all it's permutations, Boston urban (heavily inluenced by Irish-immigrants), to name some.

Sorry if I've been boring or redundant. I find dialects a fascinating subject.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Yonder and beyond.  –  Fabricioaugusto  26/NOV/2005, 12:30 PM
Yonder and beyond.  –  Rick Leal  26/NOV/2005, 1:13 PM
Yonder and beyond.  –  Fabricioaugusto  26/NOV/2005, 1:26 PM
Yonder and beyond.  –  Rick Leal  26/NOV/2005, 1:47 PM
Yonder and beyond.  –  pat  26/NOV/2005, 8:39 PM
Yonder and beyond.  –  Dale/RS  28/NOV/2005, 7:36 AM
Yonder and beyond.  –  pat  28/NOV/2005, 9:59 AM
Still about Yonder and beyond.  –  Gus.  28/NOV/2005, 12:05 PM
Still about yonder and beyond.  –  Dale/RS  28/NOV/2005, 4:42 PM