[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Miguel Vieira
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  16/JUN/2003 2:16 PM
Assunto:  Re: International Language

Mensagem:  Pat, the off an on imaginations you have about people who are different from you, I pretty much do 24/7. You see, as both a foreigner and a Blackman, I'm compelled to analize the majority(mainstream) society constantly. There is no room for intellectual lazyness. My mind is never still. Members of the majority group, on the other hand, unlike you, aren't really imaginative as to how it is like to be DIFFERENT, at least in my opinion. As for your clain that African-Americans don't master SAE in school, I would say that it is simply inaccurate. The fact is, virtually all of the middle-income African-Americans speak Standard American English fluently, at times even more fluent than members of the mainstream. The Black people you're talking about are POOR. As a matter of fact, as you pointed, in the south, when you were growing up, the vast majority of the Blacks you knew were very POOR. I'm sure they had better things to do than worry about how proper or standard their English was. The issues that we discuss on this forum are actually bourgeios issues. However, these days, the BLACK MIDDLE CLASS is more stable and equal to the mainstream MIDDLE CLASS than ever. As a result, they're becoming more and more concious about language concerns such as the ones we discuss on this forum. A perfect example would be the Black members of the Bush administration, they all grew up speaking AAVE and now look at how flawless their English is. This is the factor you must always add into the picture-ECONOMICS. Everything in America is about economics. The more materially comfortable one is, the more conscious one tends to become about the inuendos of languages i.e. educated speech, proper language, incorrect language, et cetera. Finally, as I said in the previous posting, "Most African-Americans are Black Nationalists", well, I still think so despite your disagreement. In fact, if there were to be established a FIRST WORLD BLACK NATION, I think America would experience a mass exodus of its Black Citizens. Nevertheless, that country must be genuinely First Class. For example, if it were to be like a Black Japan, the Black people unwilling to leave would probably be less than 10 percent. You see, Pat, everything I'm saying here, I got from reading extensively as well as from personal experiences. I pretty much engage in stimulating conversations with Brothas and Sistas on a daily basis. For the most part they appreciate the stimulation.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
International Language  –  André Oliveira  13/JUN/2003, 1:31 PM
Re: International Language  –  carol  13/JUN/2003, 1:50 PM
Re: International Language  –  pat  14/JUN/2003, 8:37 AM
Re: International Language  –  José Roberto  13/JUN/2003, 9:50 PM
Re: International Language  –  Miguel Vieira  14/JUN/2003, 10:49 AM
Re: International Language  –  pat  15/JUN/2003, 9:15 AM
Re: International Language  –  Miguel Vieira  15/JUN/2003, 3:13 PM
Re: International Language  –  pat  15/JUN/2003, 6:28 PM
 Re: International Language  –  Miguel Vieira  16/JUN/2003, 2:16 PM