[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  pat
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  16/JUN/2003 8:04 PM
Assunto:  Re: International Language

Mensagem:  In fact, I would go so far as to say that most people of any group rarely if ever think about what it is like to be someone else. Of course I quite agree that socio-economics is the real factor in all things. Most black Americans I know now are middle class, and speak my dialect. I would like to talk to them about race issues, but I always feel hesitant. For one thing, they will soon find out that I grew up in the South and they won't be able to view me fairly after that. As a person of color, you have the advantage of me insofar as black Americans will talk to you about things that they would never tell me. So perhaps it is true that many would prefer to have a homogeneous nation. I hope such a thing will never come to pass because separation is not going to increase prosperity or social health for anybody, IMO. You haven't directly said what your view is, but I get the feeling that you like the idea. You say "first world nation" as if conditions for black Americans would automatically be better in such a case - why would that be so? Would Latinos and Asians be allowed in? How about mixed race people? How about "whites" who want to live as "blacks"? It doesn't make sense to me to start a nation on the idea of only having citizens of a certain "race" - or religion, etc. Of course many white Europeans came to this continent with precisely that idea - making a country for one color and one religion. Thank God they didn't succeed. They failed because people of other colors and other religions instructed them that it would not be so, that such ideas are not in accordance with natural law.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
International Language  –  André Oliveira  13/JUN/2003, 1:31 PM
Re: International Language  –  carol  13/JUN/2003, 1:50 PM
Re: International Language  –  pat  14/JUN/2003, 8:37 AM
Re: International Language  –  José Roberto  13/JUN/2003, 9:50 PM
Re: International Language  –  Miguel Vieira  14/JUN/2003, 10:49 AM
Re: International Language  –  pat  15/JUN/2003, 9:15 AM
Re: International Language  –  Miguel Vieira  15/JUN/2003, 3:13 PM
Re: International Language  –  pat  15/JUN/2003, 6:28 PM
Re: International Language  –  Miguel Vieira  16/JUN/2003, 2:16 PM