ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  04/JAN/2006 9:09 AM
Assunto:  Pre├žo tabelado

Mensagem: 

I've never heard the term "controlled price".  It sounds a bit "portugl├¬s".  I have, however, heard "price control". 

"Price gouging" in another interesting term.  It means that you are being charged far more than the normal value of the item/service.  Years ago I was in Williams, Arizona.  A hotel owner told me that earlier a bad snow storm had stranded people in the small city.  Hotels were charging about three times the normal rate.  Tourists could either pay the high prices or sleep in their cars.  Did other merchants over charge?  Probably.  In Peru years ago, Peruvians attending a folk music concert paid one rate but foreigners paid about five times more.  When I complained, I given the rationale that what the Peruvians paid in relation to their income was about what foreigners paid in relation to their income.  Yeah, right.  When was the last time in the USA I saw different prices according to nationalities?  Hmmm....  In China, I understand they do the same.  If you are Chinese, you pay one fee to walk on the Great Wall, if you are a tourist you pay another fee, but if you are Japanese you pay more than anyone.  My son is leaving Cuba today.  He says that tourists there are "paying through the nose" (paying a lot) for everything.  Price gouging?  You bet!  Don't want to pay Cuban fees for Internet access?  Go back to your country and read and send your e-mail there.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Pre├žo tabelado  –  Lou  02/JAN/2006, 7:30 AM
Pre├žo tabelado  –  Dale/RS  02/JAN/2006, 12:11 PM
Pre├žo tabelado  –  David  02/JAN/2006, 6:13 PM
Pre├žo tabelado  –  Dale/RS  03/JAN/2006, 9:07 AM
Pre├žo tabelado  –  Lou  03/JAN/2006, 8:18 PM
 Pre├žo tabelado  –  Dale/RS  04/JAN/2006, 9:09 AM
controlled price  –  David  04/JAN/2006, 1:58 PM
To David  –  Jos├ę Roberto  04/JAN/2006, 2:04 PM
To David  –  Ana M  04/JAN/2006, 6:35 PM