PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  06/JAN/2006 12:30 PM
Assunto:  Marco/Deficiente físico

Mensagem: 

My placard said the same thing.

I had quite a chat a couple months ago with some cops in Porto Alegre about the US system.  The US placard comes in two colors:  red is for a temporary disability (broken leg?), and blue is for a permanent disability.  Placards have an expiration date.  The red one expires in about six months, as I recall.  The blue one expires in 24 months.  Each is renewable.  Each requires a statment from a doctor regarding the disability.  The placard can be taken from car to car.  It is NOT limited to the driver.  (I used to drive a blind friend to the bank and shopping.  We would use his placard in my car.  This was before I requested one of my own.)  In addition to permitting the driver to park in designated handicapped parking spaces, it also allows him to park without restriction in zones with time limits.  If the zone is for 30 minutes, for example, he can park there all day.  The placard is currently made of hard plastic.  (The earlier one was printed on paper and coated in clear plastic.)  It has a hole that is made to accomodate the rearview mirror, but it can be placed anywhere within the car in plain sight and still be valid.  For a permanent disability, the driver can also request a special license plate for the car.  The problem with the placard is that it can be stolen from the car, the driver can forget to display it, he can leave it at home, etc.  Some parking lots do not charge handicapped drivers.  When you exit, you sign the ticket and write down the serial number of the placard or of the number of the disabled person's license plate.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Deficiente físico  –  jeimison  06/JAN/2006, 2:48 AM
Deficiente físico  –  Deivis  06/JAN/2006, 3:08 AM
Deficiente físico  –  Dale/RS  06/JAN/2006, 7:32 AM
Deficiente físico  –  Marco  06/JAN/2006, 11:58 AM
 Marco/Deficiente físico  –  Dale/RS  06/JAN/2006, 12:30 PM
DETRAN/Deficiente físico  –  Dale/RS  07/JAN/2006, 2:50 PM
Deficiente físico   –  Evilasio  21/DEZ/2008, 3:03 PM
Deficiente físico   –  Evilasio  21/DEZ/2008, 3:15 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.