[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Miguel Vieira
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  18/JUN/2003 2:58 PM
Assunto:  Re: International Language

Mensagem:  I sure think it is better to have a healthy inflated ego than to have one that's "under-inflated" As for your claim that the discussions we've had in this forum are vapid, I would have to say that you are simply wrong. As you can recall, quite a few more participants from this forum have in fact stated that they have learned quite a bit thorough them. I'm sure they wouldn't label them as vapid at all. Stimulating, would be the term they would most likely use, in fact. And yes, I do think people's mindset can be changed. It takes aggressive people like me to do it. I believe the main reason they seem so unwilling to change at times is primarily due to their fear of the unknown. Intellectuall lazyness along with a lack of stimulation from the outside are also key factors. At first they vehemently disregard folks like me. However, as time compells them to assent, they always acquiesce to the obliging voices. This is how social and political changes materialize. A classical example would be the passage of the Civil Rights bill, at firt, the vast majority of the mainstream people were against it. After all, Blacks, Women, Jews And Gays didn't get where they are by playing it easy. Now, as for your calling me a slacker, I frankly don't understand what makes you use such a term. A slacker is the last thing I am. And if by "slacker" you mean that I perform poorly academically, then your assumption wouldn't be more inaccurate as I am a straight A student, in the liberal arts, that is. As I said previously, it is only natural for me to have an inflated ego considering my background. Everything comes with time, in my case, as you seem to wish, my inflated ego will be humbled. I'm not really worried about that. I'm assuming time as already done it for you as you once told me that your ego was just as inflated as mine back in your younger days. Finally, you clain that you knew that I didn't believe in the ex-patriation of American Blacks. Well, I never said that I either believe or not. I just said I was playing the role of a thought-pattern profiler. Now, although I was born and raised in a foreign country, I am still of the same Kind as they(American Blacks); and I tell you, don't be surprised if you were to find out that I too ROMANTICIZE the idea of living in A FIRST CLASS BLACK NATION. I am very Americanized after all. -Miguel Vieira P.S. You are right! Economic slavery knows no color. However, Black and Hispanic people seem to be getting the smallest pieces of the pie.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
International Language  –  André Oliveira  13/JUN/2003, 1:31 PM
Re: International Language  –  carol  13/JUN/2003, 1:50 PM
Re: International Language  –  pat  14/JUN/2003, 8:37 AM
Re: International Language  –  José Roberto  13/JUN/2003, 9:50 PM
Re: International Language  –  Miguel Vieira  14/JUN/2003, 10:49 AM
Re: International Language  –  pat  15/JUN/2003, 9:15 AM
Re: International Language  –  Miguel Vieira  15/JUN/2003, 3:13 PM
Re: International Language  –  pat  15/JUN/2003, 6:28 PM
Re: International Language  –  Miguel Vieira  16/JUN/2003, 2:16 PM