[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Mark
E-mail:  buzianos@yahoo.com
Data:  14/JAN/2006 9:03 PM
Assunto:  To or For

Mensagem:  Esta é uma resposta de um americano morando na Região dos Lagos (RJ): This "to"/"for" business is not a question of grammar, it's a question of usage. Maria Veleska is on the right track when she cites a former teacher to the effect that "we all have a dictionary in our brains. In that dictionary, every verb is automatically linked to a certain preposition." "My uncle went to Argentina last week" is unexceptionable. "My uncle left to Argentina last week" isn't so much wrong (as if in violation of a hard and fast rule that all Americans & Britons learn in school) as simply that it doesn't sound native, it sounds foreign. As for "What time does the next train go to Worcester?", well, that too isn't wrong so much as oddly foreign-sounding. "What time does the next train leave for W?" is OK. So is — a different question — "Does this train stop in W?" "Does this train go to W?" is pretty close to OK. "Does this train pass through W?" is better. Unfortunately, I don't know how these dúvidas can be resolved except via extensive reading, extensive conversation with native speakers, etc. As I've already said, it's not grammar that's at issue, it's usage.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
To or For  –  Marco  06/JAN/2006, 11:39 AM
To or For  –  Ana M  06/JAN/2006, 11:55 AM
To or For  –  Marco  06/JAN/2006, 12:04 PM
To or For  –  Maria Valeska  06/JAN/2006, 12:13 PM
To or For  –  BadBoy_RJ  09/JAN/2006, 1:29 AM
 To or For  –  Mark  14/JAN/2006, 9:03 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K