[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Miguel Vieira
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  24/JUN/2003 2:14 PM
Assunto:  Re: Cape Cod

Mensagem:  That's where you and I differ, Pat. You either are in denial or just don't know enough about this country's racist immigration policies, past and present I know immigration officials don't bluntly reject Black visa Applicants from predominantly Black populated countries. You'd be suprised how long it takes an average visa applicant from the countries you mentioned to get processed. Years! In "white" countries with similar economies and GPAs, the wait is not even half as long. Why? The comparisons between Uruguay and Brazil is one example. It took me four years to get mine. I came like most people, with a tourist visa, that is. Eventually I overstayed like many people do. Thank God, I now have my green card. There's also a story as to how I got it. But I'd rather not go into it right now. By the way, when the massive influx of Capeverdeans were coming in late 1800's, the US government actually needed badly. They wanted new "niggers" to fill-up the positions left vacant by the then newly-freed Negroes. You see, Pat, everything about the rich whitemen (Anglo-saxons) of this country resolves around the concept and issues of race, class and gender. They're forever imprisoned by their racism, classism and sexism. These are the reasons that to this day Blacks, women and working class people of any color are still fighting for what is natural theirs-Equal treatment (completely). Though you may be caucasian, I don't include people like you in the same umbrela as rich whitemen- You are from a working class background. Big difference.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Cape Cod  –  Miguel Vieira  22/JUN/2003, 6:01 PM
Re: Cape Cod  –  pat  23/JUN/2003, 8:54 AM
Re: Cape Cod  –  Miguel Vieira  23/JUN/2003, 1:56 PM
Re: Cape Cod  –  Jonas  23/JUN/2003, 7:45 PM
Re: Cape Cod  –  Miguel Vieira  23/JUN/2003, 9:05 PM
Re: Cape Cod  –  Rodolfo  23/JUN/2003, 9:19 PM
Re: Cape Cod  –  Miguel Vieira  23/JUN/2003, 9:45 PM
Re: Cape Cod  –  Jonas  23/JUN/2003, 10:15 PM
Re: Cape Cod  –  pat  24/JUN/2003, 9:20 AM