ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Deivis
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  27/JAN/2006 7:02 PM
Assunto:  count ... Two

Mensagem: 

There are two basic kinds of crimes.  A misdemeanor is punishable by a year or less in jail and/or a fine of up to US$10,000.  A felony is a crime punishable by more than a year and a day in prison and/or a fine of more than US$10,000.  A jail is where a defendant awaits trial and/or serves a sentence following his conviction on a misdemeanor charge.  A prison is where a defendant is sent to serve his term following a felony conviction.  (Yes, I'm aware that in books and movies they seldom make this distinction.  That's in the movies, I'm talking about real life.) 

When a defendant is charged with a crime, the court is only concerned with the facts of the crime.  Was he armed?  Did he hurt anyone?  Was he under the influence of drugs?  His past does not enter the equation.  A prior conviction on a charge of robbery does not mean that he committed the assault in the instant offense.  After he is convicted, however, then his past becomes important as a tool in determining his sentence.  He has been convicted of prior felonies?  (This would show a pattern of criminal behavior.)  Were any of the felonies violent in nature?  Has he been on probation or parole?  If so, what was his conduct like?  Was he on probation or parole at the time of the commission of the present offense?  If so, what has his conduct been like?  Has he used aliases to interfere with the judicial process?  Did he admit his guilt in an early stage of the criminal process?  Has he made restitution to the victim?  And so forth...

Hey my friend Dale, very good explanation, as usual. It seems like you are a big walking dictionay, every time I read you posts, I have to look up a lot of words. By the way, what is the diference between parole and probation? and what is your position on the American's judicial sistem?

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
count ...  –  Ik  27/JAN/2006, 5:41 PM
count ...  –  Dale/RS  27/JAN/2006, 5:50 PM
count ... Two  –  Dale/RS  27/JAN/2006, 5:57 PM
count ... Two  –  Deivis  27/JAN/2006, 6:10 PM
count ... Two  –  Dale/RS  27/JAN/2006, 6:30 PM
 count ... Two  –  Deivis  27/JAN/2006, 7:02 PM
count ... Two  –  Fabricioaugusto  27/JAN/2006, 10:42 PM
count ... Two  –  Dale/RS  28/JAN/2006, 1:41 PM
count ... Two  –  Luana  29/JAN/2006, 1:46 PM