ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  28/JAN/2006 10:06 PM
Assunto:  It Came Upon A/The Midnight Clear

Mensagem: 

Rules are made to be broken.  Once in a while "poetic license" permits the writer to break a rule and do something a little different for dramatic or poetic value.  Relax and enjoy it. 

An English teacher came to see me this afternoon.  He was talking about how his students want an explanation for everything.  He learned English as a child from Canadian neighbors.  He didn't ask them the "why" of things; he just copied them and accepted.  His English is quite good.  I admire his vocabulary and pronunciation.  He learned English here in Brazil, not in the USA.

I have taught English to students from Japan, Peru, China, Korea, Mexico, Chile, etc.  I've never seen any group always asking "why" like Brazilians.  (Why is "Reading" pronounced like "redding" instead of "reading"?  Well, who cares?  That's how it's pronounced.  There's nothing logical about it.  That's how it is.  Accept it and move on.)  English is not Portuguese.  That's why English is called a foreign language and not a Portuguese dialect.  Each language has rules (rules that are actually general observations), and sometimes those rules can be broken.  Accept it.  Go with the flow.  Don't fight it.   

Why does "sei lá" mean "I don't know"?  Why does "deixe pra lá" mean "Don't sweat it"?  Why do we say "uma" and "duas" but not "trêsa", "quatra", and "cinca"?  Why am I wasting my time and yours asking you these questions?  Sei lá.

rsrsrsrsrs

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
It Came Upon A/The Midnight Clear  –  Marcio Osorio  28/JAN/2006, 6:26 PM
 It Came Upon A/The Midnight Clear  –  Dale/RS  28/JAN/2006, 10:06 PM
It Came Upon A/The Midnight Clear  –  Marcio Osorio  29/JAN/2006, 1:57 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K