LINGUISTICS & CULTURE
|Data:||05/FEV/2006 7:27 PM|
|Assunto:||Dúvidas do dia-a-dia =D|
Hope you don't mind my comments.
- Vamos almoçar = Let's have lunch! OK
- Vamos jantar = Let's have dinner/supper (supper is the meal that you have in the early evening)
In most places, dinner and supper are used interchangeably. Where I lived in California, the word "supper" was rarely heard. In some places, "dinner" refers to the meal at noon (normally called "lunch").
- Você está com fome = Are you hungry? - OK
- Estou com muito sono = I'm very sleepy OK
- Vamos dormir = Let's go to sleep, let's turn ourselves in, let's go to bed. PROBLEM
Let's turn ourselves in = Vamos nos entregar/render (para a polícia).
Let's turn in = Vamos dormir.
Note how the us of the reflexive (ourselves) completely changes the meaning of the sentence.
Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens