ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  06/FEV/2006 6:48 AM
Assunto:  Each and every [...] one of

Mensagem: 

Podemos empregar a construção "each and every [...] one of [...]" com o mesmo sentido?

Would each and every single one of you agree that the expression Each and every [...] one of takes a singular verb in formal style?

This is fine.

Each and every darn one of my thanks goes to you for each and every little bit of information that each and every single one of you could possibly provide.

We have a problem here; I've never heard anyone say "each of my thanks".  It  doesn't make sense.  The rest of the sentence sounds fine.

There are a few things to remember.

(1) When you use words like darn, dang, damn, etc., in addition to emphasizing "each",   you are also expressing anger, displeasure, loss of patience, etc.  You'd never say, for example, "Each and every darn kiss you give tastes sweeter than wine."  No way.

(2) You don't find this emphasis given in formal speech or writing because it's a "redundant statement", it's unnecessary, you're saying something twice.  If "each" and "every one" mean the same thing, why are you saying it?  It's a bit like saying "My brother and I, who have the same parents, went to the beach."  Of course you have the same parents.  Or "The wet rain..."  Have you ever seen a "dry rain"?  "We both went to the same university together."  Why are you saying "both"?  You will hear this in informal speech, but it's redundant and unnecessary.

Every time I come here...

Every single time I come here...

Every damn time I come here...

Every dang time I come here...

Every darn time I come here...

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Every (single) one of them/those/these...  –  Marcio Osorio  05/FEV/2006, 5:30 PM
Every (single) one of them/those/these...  –  Dale/RS  05/FEV/2006, 7:11 PM
Each and every [...] one of  –  Marcio Osorio  06/FEV/2006, 12:12 AM
 Each and every [...] one of  –  Dale/RS  06/FEV/2006, 6:48 AM
Each and every [...] one of  –  Márcio Osório  06/FEV/2006, 10:40 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K