ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  14/FEV/2006 5:46 PM
Assunto:  Dan Brown

Mensagem: 

I've only read Da Vinci and Angels and Demons.  Very good!  How was Digital Fortress?  Have it, haven't read it yet.

My son just sent me a copy of The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason.  He says it reads a lot like a Dan Brown mystery. 

Recently I got hooked on Michael Connelly.  He writes murder mysteries, usually about the Los Angeles area.  I lived and worked in the LA area for many years, and it's neat to read about streets, restaurants, cities, etc. that I know.  I've found his books in Livraria Cultura and Saraiva, but I've bought many off Ebay.

John Grisham is good.  Love his courtroom dramas. 

William Coughlin was a retired Detroit judge.  His main character is a recovering alcoholic attorney who was once at the top of his career but is now starting over.  The behind the scenes subplots are very interesting, and so are the mysteries he solves.  Coughlin died a few years ago.

Are you familiar with Tony Hillerman?  He writes about the Navajo Tribal Police in modern day Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, and Colorado.  I lived in Arizona (Yuma) twice as a kid, and I know many of the places he mentions in his mysteries.  AThief of Time was named a few years ago as one of the 100 best mysteries in the English language.  (I was amazed at the number of Agatha Christie novels that made that list!) 

If you get into the Hillerman novels, go online, find his website, and note the years of publication.  Don't jump from book to book.  If you do, you'll miss a lot of the subtleties.  Each mystery takes place about a year before the next one, and things happen in one book that affect the characters in the next (just as in real life).  Start with the earliest novels and proceed toward the latest.  By the way, the earlier novels are the best.

I wish I could remember his name.  William Morrissey?  He wrote a series of mysteries that take place in Los Angeles beginning just after WWII.  If saw "Devil in a Blue Dress", you saw Denzel Washington playing the part of Easy Rawlins, his main character.  Great books.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Dan Brown  –  Miguel Vieira  14/FEV/2006, 3:02 PM
 Dan Brown  –  Dale/RS  14/FEV/2006, 5:46 PM
Dan Brown  –  Miguel Vieira  14/FEV/2006, 8:19 PM
Dan Brown  –  Dale/RS  14/FEV/2006, 9:37 PM
Dan Brown  –  Marcio Osorio  14/FEV/2006, 11:13 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K