ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  15/FEV/2006 1:35 PM
Assunto:  Doubt

Mensagem: 

Marcio Osório, who m'I to correct you? Everytime I read you posts I stay speechless by your way of writting. It's not leap service, as I see It, you, along with most people who participate in this forum, are cream of the crop concerning ESL students. Keep at it, I just love to be corrected.

-------------------------------------

Márcio Osório, who am I to correct you? Every time I read your posts, I am left speechless by your way/style of writing. It's not lip service. (See below)  As I see it, you, along with most people who participate in this forum, are the cream of the crop of ESL (?) students. Keep at it.  I just love to be corrected.

Not bad, Deivis.

leap = jump, pular

Lip service = To say you will obey an order or rule but do just the opposite.  DETRAN tells us to stop at every stop sign, but people just give lip service to the law and rarely stop.  I'd suggest "It's not flattery."

Instead of "ESL", you may want to use "EFL".  As you know, English as a Second Language is the study of English for the very practical purpose of surviving in an English speaking country.  ESL prepares you (or should prepare you) to pay your bills, order your meals, buy a two-zone transfer from the bus driver, complain to the gas station attendant, ask the girl next door for a date, etc.  EFL, on the other hand, usually refers to the study of the language to meet an academic requirement, and it rarely touches on the day-to-day life of a resident of an English speaking country.  In a nutshell (yes, there are exceptions), ESL is taught in English speaking countries to immigrants and EFL is taught in non-English speaking countries to students. 

The best way to avoid mistakes in English is not to speak it.  Show me someone who is not making mistakes, and I'll show you someone who isn't learning very much. 

Keep it up, Deivis!

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Doubt  –  Deivis  15/FEV/2006, 10:40 AM
Doubt  –  Maria Valeska  15/FEV/2006, 11:41 AM
Doubt  –  Tiago T.  15/FEV/2006, 12:18 PM
Doubt  –  Márcio Osório  15/FEV/2006, 12:21 PM
Doubt  –  Deivis  15/FEV/2006, 12:52 PM
 Doubt  –  Dale/RS  15/FEV/2006, 1:35 PM
Lip service  –  Deivis  16/FEV/2006, 6:44 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.