LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Ricky
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  21/FEV/2006 9:48 AM
Assunto:  to Tom or anybody that can help...- to hurtle off

Mensagem: 

Tom,

I got this sentenes from your previous posting:

"...Tension builds, you grip the steering wheel and your knuckles turn white because you are cutting off the blood circulation.  Your hands cramp up.  A curve approaches.  The car doesn't make the curve.  You hurtle off into...into.....into.....wait what's that noise?  It's not the passengers screaming....it's your Mom telling you to wake up and go downtown to take the vestibular!! "

I´ve looked "to hurtle off" up in the dictionary and it is not quite clear for me.

"To hurtle" means PRECIPITAR-SE ou MOVER-SE EM GRANDE VELOCIDADE as in the sentences:

"An express train that hurtled past"

"The cars hurtled by"

"All of a sudden, a car came hurtling round the corner"

What is the meaning of  "to hurtle off" in the sentence above? Is the verb "to hurtle" common in spoken English?

Thanks

Ricky

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 to Tom or anybody that can help...- to hurtle off  –  Ricky  21/FEV/2006, 9:48 AM
to Tom or anybody that can help...- to hurtle off  –  Márcio Osório  21/FEV/2006, 11:41 AM
to Tom or anybody that can help...- to hurtle off  –  Johannes  21/FEV/2006, 11:49 AM
to Tom or anybody that can help...- to hurtle off  –  Dale/RS  21/FEV/2006, 3:34 PM
to Tom or anybody that can help...- to hurtle off  –  Marcio Osorio  21/FEV/2006, 9:13 PM
to Marcio  –  Breno  22/FEV/2006, 11:22 AM
to Marcio  –  Ricky  21/FEV/2006, 3:58 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K