PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Gen. Custer
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  26/FEV/2006 7:41 AM
Assunto:  Surely & be sure to

Mensagem: 

I would like to let you know my opinion ON this

The second example if fine for spoken colloquial English - but it is not formal English

The use of surely in the second example is an alternative to certainly - it conveys the meaning, but it's more slang or dialect

I'm not saying this to discourage people from learning or using it but to alert learners to the true register of the expression

BTW I'd be interested to know what dictionary says "you have to use…." in relation to any expression -I've certainly never encountered such categorical advice in a dictionary of the English language (but read on …)

So it concerns me that Deivis takes it so hard ("what really gets me…") when the same dictionary apparently forbids him from using expression b)

Deivis will surely take heart from this and previous posts which categorically extend permission for him use the latter expression without fear of reproach by the publishers of the aforesaid dictionary (perhaps the advice was from a lexicon of military commands?!!)

In 'my dictionary' one of the main objections listed to the 'offending' structure is the confusion which inevitably arises when the word surely is used - it is referred to as the "don't-call-me-Shirley" grammatical restriction.  Of course some of the slack teachers around will fail to impart this fundamental principle of the language to students but one thing's certain

… Deivis will surely rest well in the reassuring knowledge that he no longer need be traumatized by the 'fatwa' declared upon users of this expression

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Surely & be sure to  –  Deivis  25/FEV/2006, 12:18 AM
Surely & be sure to  –  Miguel Vieira  25/FEV/2006, 4:51 PM
Surely & be sure to  –  Marcio Osorio  26/FEV/2006, 2:42 AM
Surely & be sure to  –  Deivis  26/FEV/2006, 5:06 AM
 Surely & be sure to  –  Gen. Custer  26/FEV/2006, 7:41 AM
Surely & be sure to  –  pat  26/FEV/2006, 9:54 AM
To: Gen. Custer  –  Deivis  26/FEV/2006, 11:15 PM
To: Gen. Custer  –  pat  27/FEV/2006, 7:31 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.