ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Marcio Osorio
E-mail:  rec165701@yahoo.com.br
Data:  28/FEV/2006 4:04 PM
Assunto:  Put down

Mensagem: 

<<3- It was a terrific book that was hard to put down.

to put down a book = parar de ler>>

None of my PV dictionaries has[1] it in that sense. Not even WTNID[2], in all of its multiple, neatly numbered senses and subsenses, makes any reference to it.

Well, consider this. Would a panel of unappreciative book critics find the same book hard to "put down" if they at once, categorically and actually ... put it down as not hard to put down?

I've head of people "putting down" other people in front of others just as disparagingly and probably just as viciously as they would put a coverless, badly soiled book down... on the table or on any other surface such as the inner surface of a trash can.

If you own a dog, you know you can use some practice to put it down properly[2]. The veterinarian you habitually take it to may diagnose it terminally ill and abbreviate its intense suffering by having it put down, however.

Still, the "book hard to put down" part (that incredibly object-dependent PV) sounds news to me. Thank you all for letting me infer it on my own. :)

---------------------------
[1] The none of + plural noun structure can take either a singular or a plural verb, although Cambridge's Advanced Grammar in Use considers the singular form more grammatical.

[2] Webster's Third New International Dictionary on CD Version 2.5 (c) 2000.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Look away, put down, keep out  –  Joe  28/FEV/2006, 1:41 AM
Look away, put down , keep out  –  Dale/RS  28/FEV/2006, 8:36 AM
 Put down  –  Marcio Osorio  28/FEV/2006, 4:04 PM
Put down  –  Dale/RS  28/FEV/2006, 5:08 PM
Put down  –  Johannes  01/MAR/2006, 6:25 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K