ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  02/ABR/2006 8:42 PM
Assunto:  Cesta básica, vale refeição, Secretaria da Faze

Mensagem: 

I've never seen in the USA what is called a "cesta básica" in Brazil.  Churches and other charities sometimes give "food baskets".  They have little in common, however, with what is given to employees in Brazil as "cestas básicas".

A "vale refeição" is more or less a "meal ticket".  Again, this is something quite rare in the USA.  The only time I recall getting one in the USA was when I went for a physical examination at the offices of Selective Service.  In El Salvador an airlines had some problems, and I was given a "meal ticket" (or rather "meal tickets") for meals while awaiting the next plane.

I don't know all the functions of the "Secretaria da Fazenda", but possibly it's more or less the equivalent of the Treasury Department.  In the USA, the "Receita Federal" would be the Franchise Tax Board in some states or the Internal Revenue Service at the federal level.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Cesta básica, vale refeição, Secretaria da Faze  –  Alexandre  02/ABR/2006, 7:37 PM
Cesta básica, vale refeição, Secretaria da Faze  –  Alexandre  02/ABR/2006, 7:48 PM
 Cesta básica, vale refeição, Secretaria da Faze  –  Dale/RS  02/ABR/2006, 8:42 PM
Cesta básica, vale refeição, Secretaria da Faze  –  Alexandre  02/ABR/2006, 10:23 PM
Cesta básica, vale refeição, Secretaria da Faze  –  Herbert  23/ABR/2006, 7:03 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K