[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Tiago T.
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  05/ABR/2006 9:33 PM
Assunto:  second thoughts

Mensagem:  I googled the differences between "it's me" and "it's I" and I was proven wrong. The "I" (in "it's I") is not an object, as I had stated, but a subject complement. A subject complement is a word or phrase that follows a linking verb (such as "be", "become", "seem", "appear", "smell", "look", "taste", "sound", etc.). Notice that linking verbs are neither transitive nor intransitive.

Something remarkable about subject complements is that they are not affected by the linking verb, but define the subject completely. In fact, the subject complement "I" is not affected by the linking verb "is", but defines the defines the subject "it". A subject complement can be classified as a subjective case*.

* In some languages (such as Latin), nouns, pronouns and adjectives can be inflected in several ways (or cases). These cases include: nominative, accusative, genitive, ablative, dative, vocative etc. In English, the only cases left are:
- subjective / nominative / common (man, dog, I, you, he, etc.)
- possessive / genitive (man's, John's, my, your, his, mine, yours, his, etc.)
- objective / accusative (me, you, him, etc.)

Regarding "it's me", I'd say it still makes sense because of the reasons from my last post. (Until further notice, at least!)

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Eu também  –  Syon  05/ABR/2006, 10:07 AM
Eu também  –  Dale/RS  05/ABR/2006, 10:25 AM
To Dale: Me too / It's me  –  Nayra  05/ABR/2006, 10:29 AM
To Dale: It's I  –  Dale/RS  05/ABR/2006, 11:12 AM
To Dale: It's me  –  Tiago T.  05/ABR/2006, 11:43 AM
Technicalities  –  Lou  05/ABR/2006, 12:13 PM
 second thoughts  –  Tiago T.  05/ABR/2006, 9:33 PM
Eu também  –  Johannes  05/ABR/2006, 12:26 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.