ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  09/ABR/2006 2:31 PM
Assunto:  Comedy-o-rama

Mensagem: 

Tiago, I don't recall ever finding a definition of "orama".  It's certainly part of the word "panorama", of course.

The suffix is used to communicate "festival, gathering, etc."

What's the meaning of "-o-rama" in the following examples? Why is the "o" used at all?

Comedy-o-rama = This is probably a gathering of comedians, comics, etc.
Web-o-rama = This is probably a gathering of Internet enthusiasts.
Flag-o-rama = This is probably a gathering of people interested in flags, patriotic people, etc.
Script-o-rama = This is probably a gathering of screenwriters, playwriters, etc.
Scout-o-rama = I know this to be a term used by the BSA (Boy Scouts of America) as a name for a large event to which the public is invited to see Scouts in action, meet scout leaders, etc.

Camp-o-rama = I assume this is merely a BSA alternate term for "Camporee", a district or council-wide event that offers various competitive events for Scouts.

The city of Canela (RS) is currently holding a "Chocofest".  If it were held in California or New York, maybe it would be called a "Choc-o-rama".  Whether we are talking about Chocofests or Script-o-ramas, we are using terms invented by public relations and advertising people to attract the attention of possible visitors and participants.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Comedy-o-rama  –  Tiago T.  09/ABR/2006, 2:19 PM
 Comedy-o-rama  –  Dale/RS  09/ABR/2006, 2:31 PM
Comedy-o-rama  –  Tiago T.  09/ABR/2006, 2:34 PM
Comedy-O-Rama!!  –  Joe Bevilacqua  29/JUN/2006, 1:25 PM
Comedy-o-rama  –  Joe Bevilacqua  29/JUN/2006, 1:28 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K