ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  13/ABR/2006 10:59 AM
Assunto:  balde de água fria!

Mensagem: 

Anyway,  wouldn't the expression "to be a wet blanket" mean "ser um desmancha-prazeres", which is somehow associated to "...um balde de água fria"? Thanks for "to rain on someone's parade." That's news to me!

You're right on the meaning, but I see no relationship with "a bucket of cold water".  The latter expresses shock, surprise, etc.  The former, as you said, refers to giving disappointing/bad/unpleasant news.   

As for the expression "to give someone a cold shoulder", it'd be something as "dar um gelo em alguém". Have you ever heard this one?

I don't recall hearing it.  Maybe that's because I'm such a sweet guy that I'm welcome wherever I go!

just in time...

TIA, tia
INTERNET ABBREVIATION FOR thanks in advance: used in an e-mail when you ask somebody for information or want them to do something for you. From Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary.

GDIFD = Gee, do I feel dumb!  Think I need to sign up for ENS (English for Native Speakers).

Seriously, it's impossible to know all the slang that is going around.  I often find expressions in the Forum that I've never heard in my life, and yet I can do a Google and find them used by others.  The Internet is giving us yet another form of slang.

By the way, "Tia" is sometimes used as a woman's name in the USA.  I won't say that it's common, but I've met women called "Tia".  

I met a "Dalene" years ago.  Her father was named Dale, and so she was named Dalene.  I don't recall meeting anyone else with that name.  The name of my mother and sister is Verdie, yet another strange name.  I've met one other Verdie, and I believe my sister has too.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
balde de água fria!  –  Alexandre  11/ABR/2006, 6:04 PM
balde de água fria!  –  Dale/RS  11/ABR/2006, 7:03 PM
balde de água fria!  –  Fabricioaugusto  11/ABR/2006, 7:33 PM
balde de água fria!  –  Dale/RS  11/ABR/2006, 9:04 PM
balde de água fria!  –  Fabricioaugusto  12/ABR/2006, 9:28 AM
balde de água fria!  –  Dale/RS  12/ABR/2006, 11:50 AM
balde de água fria!  –  Jazz  13/ABR/2006, 8:46 AM
balde de água fria!  –  Dale/RS  13/ABR/2006, 10:00 AM
balde de água fria!  –  Jazz  13/ABR/2006, 10:42 AM