ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  13/ABR/2006 11:56 AM
Assunto:  To Dale - English Club

Mensagem: 

Raquel, if I said that, I was lying.  Again!

Our guest was an American wildlife biologist employed by the US Forestry Service.  I think that's under the Department of Agriculture.  He lives in eastern Washington in a small town.  His job includes using a team of about 5-6 people inventory (count) wild animals, often in an area where it is planned to cut timber.  If trees are cut in Area A, what will be the effect upon animals living there?  His wife was also at the meeting.

An American couple that has lived in Canela for about 23 years also came.  Paul had been a manager employed by Pan American.  I forgot to ask the year, but he said he had flown around Brazil with Charles Lindbergh.  Lindbergh, of course, died about 1974.  He was in Brazil several times around 1930.  I believe he flew the first planeload of airmail from Miami to Brazil, probably landing in Fortaleza.  When did Paul meet him???  A good question.

Since it was April Fool's Day, I performed my favorite magic trick.  (There's no magic to it!  The audience thinks I just killed someone's wristwatch.  The joke is that it is a cheap wristwatch that I have given to the "volunteer" prior to the meeting.  It was very funny!)  We played some games, everyone had several chances to talk.

My big concern is that there is a tremendous turnover in members.  We had 12 the meeting before and 13 this month.  But...very few of the 13 had attended the earlier meeting.  People are coming, they are just not the same people that attended earlier!

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
To Dale - English Club  –  Raquel  13/ABR/2006, 11:12 AM
 To Dale - English Club  –  Dale/RS  13/ABR/2006, 11:56 AM
To Dale - English Club  –  Professor Dave  13/ABR/2006, 12:30 PM
To Dave - English Club  –  Rodolfo  13/ABR/2006, 2:27 PM
To Dale - English Club  –  Raquel  13/ABR/2006, 3:11 PM
Raquel/To Dale - English Club  –  Dale/RS  13/ABR/2006, 3:38 PM
To Dale - English Club  –  Raquel  13/ABR/2006, 5:54 PM
Raq-To Dale - English Club  –  Dale/RS  13/ABR/2006, 7:22 PM
To Dave - English Club  –  Dave  13/ABR/2006, 5:00 PM