ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  20/ABR/2006 6:59 PM
Assunto:  acessar a internet

Mensagem: 

Sarah, you must be thinking of the "funeral service".

The "eulogy" is the the talk given by someone who hopefully knew the deceased well.  Perhaps the speaker is a brother, sister, son, daughter, friend, etc.  Sometimes the speaker is a priest or pastor.

Many years ago, an acquaintance of mine was murdered during a robbery.  Rodrigo had been an SOB (filho da mãe) for most of his life, and I have no doubt that his less than charming personality contributed to his death.  Out of respect for his parents, I attended the service with Alberto, a mutual friend who had the same opinion of Rodrigo that I had.  The eulogy was given by a priest.  It was quite a contrast.  The priest was saying wonderful things about Rodrigo, but Alberto and I had quite different memories of him.  After the service, we spoke briefly with the priest.  To our amusement, the priest said, "I didn't know him personally, but I understand that he had...a very...difficult personality."  Yes, that summed it up nicely.  Rodrigo had not been a very pleasant man, but nobody deserves to be shot during a robbery.  The killers were never found.  They say that there is no such thing as a perfect crime.  Any crime is perfect if the criminal is not arrested and convicted.  His death must have been terrible for his parents.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
acessar a internet  –  Camila  20/ABR/2006, 7:55 AM
acessar a internet  –  Márcio Osório  20/ABR/2006, 8:32 AM
acessar a internet  –  Dale/RS  20/ABR/2006, 8:44 AM
acessar a internet  –  Sarah  20/ABR/2006, 5:41 PM
 acessar a internet  –  Dale/RS  20/ABR/2006, 6:59 PM
Assassin robbers soon die  –  Marcio Osorio  23/ABR/2006, 4:02 AM
Assassin robbers soon die  –  Johannes  23/ABR/2006, 1:43 PM
acessar a internet  –  Tiago T.  20/ABR/2006, 7:03 PM
acessar a internet  –  Dale/RS  20/ABR/2006, 7:21 PM