ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  22/ABR/2006 1:29 AM
Assunto:  Does it resembles you?

Mensagem: 

"To sound like" is often used to mean "to appear".  Often it is used to express a future possibility or an opinion. 

1) John has been telling me how busy he has been this month.  It sounds like he has not had much time to rest.

2) It sounds like rain.

3) The party on Saturday sounds like rain.

Sandra, if you will re-read my examples above, I think you'll understand better what I am saying.  In (1) it is clearly stated that someone has said something to the speaker.  In (3) there is a strong implication that someone has said something to the speaker. In (3) the implication is not there, but it is certainly what I was thinking when I wrote the sentence.  "To sound like" implies that you are basing your belief/assumption/prediction on something you have heard.  In the case of (2), perhaps someone has told you about certain observations of the sky or perhaps you have heard the wind, raindrops, etc.  I didn't mean to give the impression that you can look into the sky, see a dard cloud, and say, "It sounds like rain."  It can look like rain, yes.  However to sound like rain one or both of the aforementioned conditions must exist:  (a) someone has told you something, or (b) you have heard nature sounds.  I hope this makes things clearer for you. 

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Does it resembles you?  –  Deivis  21/ABR/2006, 4:29 PM
Does it resembles you?  –  Johannes  21/ABR/2006, 4:55 PM
Does it resembles you?  –  Deivis  21/ABR/2006, 5:19 PM
Does it resembles you?  –  Dale/RS  21/ABR/2006, 5:52 PM
Does it resembles you?  –  Sarah  21/ABR/2006, 10:39 PM
Does it resembles you?  –  Dale/RS  22/ABR/2006, 1:10 AM
 Does it resembles you?  –  Dale/RS  22/ABR/2006, 1:29 AM
Does it resembles you?  –  Sandra  22/ABR/2006, 8:38 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.