[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Marcio Osorio
E-mail:  rec165701@yahoo.com.br
Data:  23/ABR/2006 3:33 AM
Assunto:  Error sailed right past one's nose/undetected

Mensagem:  <<"Eu passei batido por cima desse detalhe no livro de Jane Austen">>

"The error in Jane Austen's [recently published] book sailed right by my nose"?

<<I could use the verb  "to approximate" to say "tal fato aproxima tal livro de tal outro livro"?>>

It seems to me that anyone willing to do so can.

<<There is no way we can approximate this to that. Can I say this in English?>>

My ESL mind says yes. Your example looks fine to me.

Main Entry: ²approximate
Pronunciation: -,mate usu -aid.+V
Function: verb
Inflected Form: -ed/-ing/-s

transitive verb  
1 a : to bring near or close to : cause to approach : make approximate <the closer the performing conditions for Sebastian Bach's concerted music are approximated to those of early eighteenth century provincial Germany --Virgil Thomsonb medicine : to bring together (cut edges of tissue)
2 : to come near to : APPROACH <the candidate's memory should closely approximate a hypothetical norm --H.G.Armstrong> <nothing approximating a history of American letters was printed --H.M.Jones>
3 : to set by hasty and crude calculation : ESTIMATE <maybe the map is just approximated when it comes to precise distances --A.R.Marcus>
intransitive verb : to come close <to make the effects of poetry approximate to those of music --Edmund Wilson>
[Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged on CD]

Me, I wouldn't know why the verb sometimes comes with to and then again it doesn't. See the definition's last sentence example. It takes a to. The other examples don't. Dale? pat?

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
passar por cima  –  Alexandre  22/ABR/2006, 10:54 PM
 Error sailed right past one's nose/undetected  –  Marcio Osorio  23/ABR/2006, 3:33 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K