[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  pat
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  25/ABR/2006 8:09 AM
Assunto:  Pat / Portuguese

Mensagem:  Very well. This year we have a new teacher, she has been in the US for some years and so speaks reasonably good english, but is good about refraining from speaking english with us during class.  She is Mineiro, of mostly Italian heritage, and very well-educated although I think mostly self-educated.

We talk about all sorts of things during class - she talks a great deal, laughs a lot, and I struggle to understand. Every so often she says "compreende?". Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, but the main thing is to keep listening.

One problem, the only problem really, is that because  we are the only  "advanced" portuguese class  around, we have too much range  in the students, and too few of us.  For example, the top student  is fully fluent, the next one is quite good and has almost a perfect accent (to my ear, at least), then there is another who speaks  better than me and comprehends a bit more also, then there is me, and then two less proficient.

So it is impossible for one teacher to effectively improve such a wide range of students in one hour-and-a-half class. Still, just so far this year listening to her has greatly improved my comprehension - I can notice the difference when listening to random brasilians. Our co-operative poetry translation was also a high point.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Reconhecimento  –  Cat  24/ABR/2006, 2:17 PM
Reconhecimento  –  Paulo  24/ABR/2006, 2:20 PM
Reconhecimento  –  Cat  24/ABR/2006, 2:27 PM
Reconhecimento  –  Johannes  24/ABR/2006, 2:37 PM
Reconhecimento  –  Márcio Osório  24/ABR/2006, 2:38 PM
Reconhecimento  –  Rodolfo  24/ABR/2006, 2:54 PM
Reconhecimento  –  Cat  24/ABR/2006, 3:24 PM
Reconhecimento  –  pat  24/ABR/2006, 3:53 PM
Pat / Portuguese  –  Johannes  24/ABR/2006, 5:48 PM