ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  27/ABR/2006 9:44 AM
Assunto:  AmSlang #25

Mensagem: 

Boy, we haven't done this for a long time, have we?

TO SMELL A RAT - to sense/believe that something is wrong
When he asked me for five dollars to buy flowers for his mother, I smelled a rat.  His mother has been in Australia for ten years.

The mechanic said he could fix the car for $100.  I smelled a rat.  I took it to another garage and I was charged only $25 for the repair.

TO BE SOMETHING FISHY - to sense/believe that something is wrong (somewhat similar to "to smell a rat")

I knew there was something fishy about his store.  He had few customers but he always had lots of money.  I wasn't surprised when he was arrested for selling contraband cachaça to truck drivers.

I don't like him.  There's something fishy about him.  I think he is a thief.

TO LET THE CAT OUT OF THE BAG - to reveal a secret

It was supposed to be a surprise party, but Jack let the cat out of the bag when he said he was going to take the beer and salgados.

Nobody was supposed to know the boss was coming back to the office early, but someone let the cat out of the bag, and people were waiting for him at the door.

TO BE FOR THE BIRDS - to be of poor quality, boring, etc.  (Sometimes this is very close to "programa de indio".) 

The movie was terrible.  The acting was bad, there story was lousy, and the cinematography was awful.  It was for the birds.

His ideas are for the birds.  He is always coming up with weird, strange, impractical suggestions.  He must be from another planet.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
 AmSlang #25  –  Dale/RS  27/ABR/2006, 9:44 AM
AmSlang #25  –  Deivis_fsilva@yahoo.com.br  27/ABR/2006, 8:07 PM
AmSlang #25  –  Fabricioaugusto  27/ABR/2006, 8:16 PM
AmSlang #25  –  Deivis  27/ABR/2006, 8:30 PM
AmSlang #25  –  pat  27/ABR/2006, 9:20 PM
AmSlang #25  –  Dale/RS  28/ABR/2006, 8:30 AM
AmSlang #25  –  Dale/RS  28/ABR/2006, 8:18 AM
AmSlang #25 smell a rat  –  Johannes  28/ABR/2006, 8:55 AM
AmSlang #25 smell a rat  –  Antinio  28/ABR/2006, 3:43 PM