Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  29/ABR/2006 9:37 AM
Assunto:  Ainda bem!!!

Mensagem: 

Good thing... (as CR says)

It's a good thing...

Thank goodness...

"It's just as well" is a much milder, weaker form of the above.  When you say it, you're showing very little emotion.  You are giving much less importance to the main part of the sentence or conversation.

(a1) We go to the park.  You take your jacket.  It's not cold and you don't need it.  I say, "It's just as well that you brought your jacket.  You don't need it, but the jacket is light and easy to carry, and at least you will have it if it suddenly turns cold or starts to rain."

(a2) We go to the park.  You take your jacket.  It's not cold and you don't need it.  I say, "Thank goodness you brought your jacket.  I can't believe what a terrible temporal that was!"

(b1) We go to the hospital to see a friend.  When we arrive, you decide to stay in the car because you have a headache.  I enter the hospital and return to the car.  "It was just as well that you stayed in the car.  He left the hospital earlier this morning and is at home now."

(b2) We go to the hospital to see a friend.  When we arrive, you decide to stay in the car because you have a headache.  I enter the hospital and return to the car.  "Good thing you stayed in the car.  His wife is with him, and she blames the accident on you.  You'd better wait until she calms down before you talk with her."

Just one more thing. How do you guys say "era só o que me faltava/só me faltava essa" in English?

That was the last straw.

That was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Now my day is complete.

That was the only thinking missing to completely ruin my day.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Ainda bem!!!  –  Alexandre  28/ABR/2006, 9:36 PM
Ainda bem!!!  –  CR  28/ABR/2006, 9:53 PM
Ainda bem!!!  –  Alexandre  28/ABR/2006, 10:22 PM
 Ainda bem!!!  –  Dale/RS  29/ABR/2006, 9:37 AM
Ainda bem!!!  –  Deivis  29/ABR/2006, 10:36 AM
Ainda bem!!!  –  Johannes  29/ABR/2006, 11:15 AM
Ainda bem!!!  –  Deivis  29/ABR/2006, 12:43 PM
Ainda bem!!!  –  Johannes  29/ABR/2006, 1:36 PM
Ainda bem!!!  –  Deivis  30/ABR/2006, 10:12 AM