ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Deivis
E-mail:  deivis_fsilva@yahoo.com.br
Data:  30/ABR/2006 8:40 AM
Assunto:  Phrases

Mensagem: 

Let's swig him to God. = (This makes no sense.  I think the sentence isn't written correctly.)

Hi, Dale! I guess this is the very first time I'll have to desagree with you. I did write the sentence correctly, and before I post that I kinda of had a vaguely idea about what the guy who said the phrase meant by that. Let's see: 

People were flocking off to this big house where was being held a wake of a nobel man who ruled the city for decades and had just died from a disease. The casket with the corpse was sorrounded by a buch of locals who wanted, at least, to take the last look, to give the last good bye to the man who meant so much to them. Some of them were crying, others were whispering to one another about his good deeds and stuff, a few were drinking, and there were also those who were drinking and crying.     

Then, all at once a very debilitated elderly man, who probably was from the family, lifted his glass filled up with brand up and started a speech: "let's swig him to God".....I figured he meant "vamos beber em homenagem a ele" ou "vamos beber o difunto" as the word "swig'' means "to drink something in large mouthfuls", furthermore; google presented me with four entries for the sentence "Let's swig him to God and hope that he get to heaven". m'I in the right track?   

Thanx indeed.

(Fell free to proofread my post)

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Phrases  –  Deivis  29/ABR/2006, 1:10 PM
Phrases  –  Johannes  29/ABR/2006, 1:46 PM
Phrases  –  Marcio Osorio  29/ABR/2006, 1:57 PM
Phrases  –  Johannes  29/ABR/2006, 3:02 PM
Phrases  –  Dale/RS  29/ABR/2006, 11:08 PM
 Phrases  –  Deivis  30/ABR/2006, 8:40 AM
Phrases  –  Dale/RS  30/ABR/2006, 11:31 AM