ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  03/MAI/2006 7:48 AM
Assunto:  Despachante - II

Mensagem: 

An insurance broker, by the way, represents many insurance companies.  He matches the company and its policy to the needs of his client.  His loyalty is to his client, not to Insurance Company A, Insurance Company B, Insurance Company C, etc.

Going back to my remark about DETRAN, the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) in California has a reputation for bureaucracy and long lines.  Maybe once have I felt that I was not treated fairly or professionally there.  I think it generally does a fine job of serving the public.  However, it's still fun to make jokes about the DMV!  A few years ago I heard the following joke:  Did you know that the director of the DMV had resigned on Wednesday?  Actually, he had wanted to resign on Monday but he was standing in the wrong line.

Often the Brazilian despachante is doing the same thing that anyone could do without training, classes, etc., if he had the time to stand in line.  Am I right or wrong?  This is not the case with oil brokers, coffee brokers, etc. 

And another thing, an "expediter" is often an employee of the company that the customer contacts in the event of a problem.  Let's say that I need one million widgets by the tenth day of this month or I will lose lots of money..  ("widget" = the name of an imaginary product).  I placed the order two months ago.  I call the Widget Manufacturing Company and I learn that the order isn't ready and nobody seems to know when it will be.  Now I'm getting nervous.  I can call an expediter in the company to find out what the problem is and get the problem solved prior to the tenth of the month.  The expediter is employed by the Widget Manufacturing Company, but his job is to keep ME happy, to solve MY problems with his employer.  The expediter usually reports directly to a top official inside the company and has the authority to give orders to supervisors and other personnel inside the company, give certain orders priority over others, etc. 

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Despachante  –  Josi  02/MAI/2006, 7:19 PM
Despachante  –  Antonio  02/MAI/2006, 8:02 PM
Despachante  –  Marcio Osorio  02/MAI/2006, 9:40 PM
Despachante  –  Dale/RS  03/MAI/2006, 7:12 AM
 Despachante - II  –  Dale/RS  03/MAI/2006, 7:48 AM
Despachante - II  –  Johannes  03/MAI/2006, 12:01 PM
TO Jo- Life in Portugal  –  Paulo  03/MAI/2006, 12:10 PM
TO Jo- Life in Portugal  –  Maria Valeska  03/MAI/2006, 1:33 PM
TO Jo- Life in Portugal  –  Johannes  03/MAI/2006, 1:54 PM