ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  06/MAI/2006 1:45 PM
Assunto:  Rule of thumb

Mensagem: 

Gee, I wonder what Dale was talking about.  (Your use of "to drop by" is fine.)

The expression "rule of thumb" comes from an old English law that permitted a husband to beat his wife with a stick that was smaller in diameter than his thumb.  You have to admire English law!  Today, "rule of thumb" means "como regra geral" or "usually, often, under most circumstances, generally, etc."|

As a rule of thumb, if you think the hike will take five days, take enough food for seven.  Be prepared for emergencies.  (Generally speaking, if you think the hike will take five days, take enough food for seven.  Be prepared for emergencies.)

As a rule of thumb, a sharp knife is safer than a dull knife.  This is because a dull knife can slip while you are using it.  (Under most conditions, a sharp knife is safer than a dull knife...)

As a rule of thumb, I walk at least 30 minutes per day.  If it's raining, I stay home.  (I almost always walk at least 30 minutes per day unless it's raining.)

As a rule of thumb, you shouldn't pick up hitch-hikers.  (It's seldom a good idea to give rides to hitch-hikers.  Of course, if I see Miss Paraná on the side of BR-116, I'm going to stop and give her a ride.)

As a rule of thumb, I don't like to lend money to friends.  Usually, I lose either the money, the friend, or both.  (I rarely lend money to friends, but I'm going to lend money to you because I've never liked you.)

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Rule of thumb  –  Deivis  06/MAI/2006, 10:32 AM
 Rule of thumb  –  Dale/RS  06/MAI/2006, 1:45 PM
Rule of thumb  –  Dale/RS  06/MAI/2006, 1:55 PM
Rule of thumb  –  Marcio Osorio  06/MAI/2006, 2:04 PM
Rule of thumb  –  pat  06/MAI/2006, 7:51 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K