Fórum EMB de Discussões
[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  06/MAI/2006 2:42 PM
Assunto:  With or without a passing grade?

Mensagem: 

Marcio, you are 100% correct.  They have to have a passing grade to qualify for a license to practice law.

To reiterate, only 50% pass the exam each year.  I'm not saying that 50% pass the first time.  I'm saying that each time the exam is given, only 50% of those taking it will pass.  Out of 1000 people taking the exam, perhaps 200 are taking it for the first time and the other 800 are taking it for the second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh....time.  Some other states have much easier exams.  I believe I read that in a state in the East, 98% taking the exam pass it.  In other words, if you can spell your name without making any mistakes, you can probably practice law there.

By the way, when someone opens a law office, it's common to say that he "...is putting out/up his shingle."   A "shingle" is a flat piece of wood that is used to cover a roof much like tiles (telhas).  I don't recall seeing them in Brazil, but I may be wrong.  A shingle roof looks attractive today.  In the old days, they were common because they were cheap to make.  A shingle is about 12-14 cm X 40 cm.  I may be wrong; I havent' had one in my hands for years.  A shingle is just the right size to make a sign.  When you put out/up a shingle, you are putting up/out a sign.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Paralegal  –  mano  06/MAI/2006, 11:16 AM
Paralegal  –  Rodolfo  06/MAI/2006, 12:12 PM
Paralegal  –  Dale/RS  06/MAI/2006, 1:33 PM
With or without a passing grade?  –  Marcio Osorio  06/MAI/2006, 2:29 PM
 With or without a passing grade?  –  Dale/RS  06/MAI/2006, 2:42 PM
Shingle = tabuleta  –  Marcio Osorio  06/MAI/2006, 2:56 PM
Paralegal  –  Percival  06/MAI/2006, 3:12 PM
Paralegal  –  Cejana  21/JUN/2006, 1:19 AM
Paralegal  –  cEJANA  21/JUN/2006, 1:25 AM