ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  20/MAI/2006 9:15 AM
Assunto:  pergunta sobre esl ensinando

Mensagem: 

I'm not sure, but I think that the "Brazilian Books" website has books for Brazilians studying English.  In fact, he has a lot of books of Brazilian literature that would be of interest to you.  You could teach English to Brazilians without anything in Portuguese, but it would be tough.  Using no book at all or a book without anything in the learner's native language makes things a lot tougher.  (This isn't theory, it's personal observation.  As a teen I was one of four or five "hakujin" or whites in a Japanese school.)  I'm not a fan of "total immersion".  It sounds great and makes a lot of sense, but it can kill motivation.   

They are not going to stick to it unless they feel immeditately that they are making progress, that they are learning useful expressions and words.  You may want to start with really simple things such as greetings, the weather, numbers, telling time, etc.  Eventually you can prepare lessons around situations (paying a bill, ordering in a restaurant, taking a bus, asking directions, etc.). 

In the beginning, stress communication and not correct English.  The weaker the student, the more criticism will frustrate and hurt the student.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
pergunta sobre esl ensinando  –  pat  20/MAI/2006, 8:30 AM
 pergunta sobre esl ensinando  –  Dale/RS  20/MAI/2006, 9:15 AM
pergunta sobre esl ensinando  –  pat  20/MAI/2006, 10:39 PM
pergunta sobre esl ensinando  –  Dale/RS  21/MAI/2006, 1:01 PM
pergunta sobre esl ensinando  –  PAT  21/MAI/2006, 2:35 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K