ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  21/MAI/2006 11:17 AM
Assunto:  Stall for time

Mensagem: 

If you're an English teacher, I suggest that you leave "wanna" for conversations with intimate friends who are aware that you know that it's substandard English.

"Bullshit" is certainly not a word I'd use in a classroom.  The term is simply too strong. 

Are you aware that there is a difference between "to bullshit the student" and "to bullshit with the student"?  If you bullshit the student, you lie or deceive him.  If you bullshit with a student, the two of you are talking about general subjects and not following your lesson plan (sports, movies, parties, plans for the future, the girl in the red T-shirt, etc.).  Tomorrow I hope to spend several hours bullshitting with a friend.  If I were describing this to someone not a close friend, I would choose such words as converse, visit, chat, shoot the bull, chew the fat, hang, talk, etc.

"To stall for time" is acceptable.  You can stall for time by bullshitting (chatting) with the student while waiting for others to appear, by carefully and slowly cleaning the blackboard, etc. Note that you are not doing anything (or very little) in reference to your lesson plan.  Further note that "stalling for time" is not limited to conversation; it can be physical.

If you want to use an informal expression, try "to shoot the bull" with the student.  It means, roughly, that you are chatting with him regarding subjects unrelated to the lesson plan.

You beat around the bush when you avoid discussing a subject, not address directly a question, etc.  It's not the same as bullshitting, chatting, etc.  It can, however, be a technique of "stalling for time".

You deceive a student by lying to him, making him believe something false is true, etc.  Clearly this is not the word that you are seeking.

Here's another thought:  why do anything but continue with the lesson as planned?  If students know that regardless of when they walk into the classroom the lesson will be waiting for them, you are encouraging them to be late.  Think of a meeting in general.  If you say it is going to start at seven, start it at seven.  If you start it at tweny minutes past seven when "more people are there", when do you think the people will arrive for the next meeting?  I'll give you hint:  they won't arrive at seven.  Most people have watches or access to clocks.  I wouldn't baby them.  Your time is valuable.  You've kept your word.  You were there ready and willing.  The students should keep their word to you.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Stall for time  –  Alexandre  21/MAI/2006, 10:27 AM
Stall for time  –  Márcio Osório  21/MAI/2006, 10:57 AM
 Stall for time  –  Dale/RS  21/MAI/2006, 11:17 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K