PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  24/MAI/2006 3:06 PM
Assunto:  Me tornar professora de inglês

Mensagem: 

I agree with Pat. 

I've met many English teachers in Brazil, and most have no idea what they are doing. 

The manager of the local Benoit is a neighbor of mine.  He's very pleased with his English instructor (CDI).  I've had lunch with his teacher, and the man doesn't speak English well at all.  Some of the e-mails I've received from him have been unintelligble.  But at least my neighbor likes him.  What can I say to my neighbor? 

I've visited natioinally known private schools in several states.  It's very rare to meet an instructor with a good command of the language.  This means,of course, that the teacher is teaching his bad English to others. Often teaching skills are non-existent.  At the university level, the level of English is usually high.  It's usually high, not always.  I've met some people who had lived and worked in the USA or Australia.  Often their English was outstanding, but they weren't teaching it.  It's such a loss for English students.

At PUCRS in 2005 I attended a three day seminar given by the Associação de Professores de Inglês do Rio Grande do Sul for English teachers.  The teachers making the presentations often made terrible mistakes.  Many of the teachers in the audience corrected the presenters.  They had been introduced to us as "experts".  Baloney.  Do you think that the APIRS ever replied to my emails about their "experts"?  Of course not.  The APIRS has access to terrific presenters, but it won't use them, apparently  because they are not university professors.  Snobism.  A waste of resources.  A shame. 

I've heard good things about CELTA.  I understand that once in a while it is given in the São Paulo area.  It's given on a regular basis in Buenos Aires, Santiago, etc.  (Here is another problem; CELTA stresses British English.  If you plan to teach American English, keep that in mind.)  I don't know about Brazil, but there are many intensive TEFL courses in the USA and Canada.  Some are given by universities.  I'd suggest that you avoid certificates that can be earned in two weekends or some other ridiculous figure.  You get what you pay for. Avoid "diploma mills".  If you want a certificate for your wall, you can get them easily enough in resort areas with easy access to the beach.  No, I'm not joking.  If want to learn to teach, however, stay away from them.  Take a course that will give you skills you can use in the classroom.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Me tornar professora de inglês  –  Tatiane  24/MAI/2006, 12:39 PM
Me tornar professora de inglês  –  Johannes  24/MAI/2006, 12:51 PM
Me tornar professora de inglês  –  Josi  24/MAI/2006, 1:19 PM
Me tornar professora de inglês  –  pat  24/MAI/2006, 2:01 PM
Me tornar professora de inglês  –  Gandalf  24/MAI/2006, 2:45 PM
 Me tornar professora de inglês  –  Dale/RS  24/MAI/2006, 3:06 PM
Me tornar professora de inglês  –  Aman  24/MAI/2006, 5:36 PM
Me tornar professora de inglês  –  Dale/RS  24/MAI/2006, 7:25 PM
Me tornar professora de inglês  –  Aman  24/MAI/2006, 9:45 PM