ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  25/MAI/2006 10:58 AM
Assunto:  Idiom: Take its toll

Mensagem: 

A "toll" is a cost.  On the highway, you have to pay a "pedágio".  In English that "pedágio" is called "a toll".

When you make a telephone call using the numbers "0800", you do not have to pay for the call.  In English we call it "0800" a toll free number.

When you say, "Her love is taking its toll on me", you are saying ""Her love is making me pay a cost."  Perhaps the cost is financial, perhaps emotional,. perhaps a strain on your relationship with your family, perhaps with your studies or your work, etc.

I've never heard it used in the sense of one person taking her/his toll on another person.  I've read it, but I've never heard it.  I've only heard it used about something impersonal such as health, a job, a relationship, a war, the weather, classes, work, etc.  Rather than say, "He is taking his toll on me," I'd suggest "Our association is taking its toll on me."

1) The war has taken its toll on her.  She can't sleep at night because she is worried about her soldier husband.

2) The new schedule has taken its toll on him.  He leaves the house early in the morning and returns late at night.  It's ruining his health.

3) The wind has taken its toll on the bridge.  I think it will soon collapse and fall into the river.

4) The new law is taking its toll on innocent citizens.  It's punishing them unfairly for doing something that has been their right for centuries.

5) The frost has has taken its toll on the strawberry crop.  Most of the plants have died, and many farmers are now broke.

6) The battle took its toll on the troops of the First Batallion.  More than 60% were killed.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Idiom: Take its toll  –  Renata  25/MAI/2006, 10:22 AM
 Idiom: Take its toll  –  Dale/RS  25/MAI/2006, 10:58 AM
Idiom: Take its toll  –  Márcio Osório  25/MAI/2006, 11:28 AM
Idiom: Take its toll  –  Cris  25/MAI/2006, 11:52 AM
Idiom: Take its toll  –  Renata  25/MAI/2006, 2:38 PM
Idiom: Take its toll  –  Márcio Osório  25/MAI/2006, 3:58 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K