ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Dale/RS
E-mail:  dale.thomas@hy.com.br
Data:  29/MAI/2006 7:17 AM
Assunto:  Ganhar dinheiro com tradução

Mensagem: 

Ronaldo, universities are a source of translation work.  A friend is an expert in the area of dyslexia, and he has been doing translations in that area for a university in SC.  Over the past few months, I've done some work for a sociology professor in Juiz de Fora.  She showed me a book that had been printed a few years ago that contained a collection of reports and research findings regarding a small town in Maranhão.  Each chapter had been written by a different team of researchers.  Some chapters were in quite good English, and some were barely understandable.  Apparently, it's becoming increasingly common to publish such books as part of post-graduate programs.  If you have a area of special interest or experience, you could start with that.  When I did the translations of research in the physical education field, I had trouble with the jargon.  Doing such translations is nothing like writing a letter, translating a newspaper article, etc.  It requires a specific vocabulary, but I'm sure that you know this already.  If you like translation work, I'd suggest placing an ad in newspapers, posting ads at universities, trying to meet professors in your area of expertise.  Get business cards.  Lots of them!

I would also suggest contacting tourist agencies.  I was very pleased to be called by one that needed an interpreter.  I had a nice day with some nice people, I visited a place I'd never seen before, and the lunch was free.  The driver knew the area well, so all I had to do was interprete his remarks and asks him the questions that the tourists asked me.  Oh, and I was well paid! 

Maria Valeska has done a lot of translation work.  Hopefully she'll read your post and give you some advice.

Good luck!

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Ganhar dinheiro com tradução  –  ronaldo machado  28/MAI/2006, 11:41 PM
 Ganhar dinheiro com tradução  –  Dale/RS  29/MAI/2006, 7:17 AM
Ganhar dinheiro com tradução  –  Silvana  29/MAI/2006, 9:24 PM
Ganhar dinheiro com tradução  –  Maria Valeska  30/MAI/2006, 11:17 AM
Ganhar dinheiro com tradução  –  Dale/RS  30/MAI/2006, 2:36 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K