PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  cesar
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  20/JUN/2006 12:52 AM
Assunto:  "Come quieto"

Mensagem: 

Guys

Sure goody-goody and shady are different things and refer to different kinds of personality traits or attitude. What I mean is that both terms might convey the meaning of "come quieto",among other ideas...I guess it all depends on the context, since this term is typically Brazilian. The point is, what's the context? Sometimes terms have different shades of meaning depending on local usage and intonation...

On the other hand, I mentioned he fronts cause it's pretty common to hear that in Brooklyn, NYC (the city I live in). When you front, you make people believe you're someone different than you REALLY are, like you tell them you like to spend time doing volunteer work on a regular basis, but all you do is get wasted someplace around the corner: that's right, you're fronting... 

As far as I'm concerned, if you're a shady character, you can't be trusted, cause you're sorta dishonest and are always doing something that mom and dad just can't think of, ya know what I'm sayin'? As for goody-goody, if you want to make a good impression on people and make it last for long, you behave well (you do what you're expected to, especially if you're a kid...goody-goody  sounds childish to me, unless you're being ironic.

What's the context for "come quieto"? Come again?

Take care you guys

cesar

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
"Come quieto"  –  Aman  17/JUN/2006, 3:09 PM
"Come quieto"  –  cesar  19/JUN/2006, 1:34 AM
"Come quieto"  –  Rúbio Terra  19/JUN/2006, 3:44 PM
"Come quieto"  –  Carlos  19/JUN/2006, 7:08 PM
"Come quieto"  –  Aman  19/JUN/2006, 9:45 PM
"Come quieto"  –  pat  19/JUN/2006, 3:46 PM
 "Come quieto"  –  cesar  20/JUN/2006, 12:52 AM