[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  José Roberto
E-mail:  josezambon@merconet.com.br
Data:  09/OUT/2003 12:40 AM
Assunto:  Re: A question to Maria Valeska

Mensagem:  Dear Maria Valeska By no means you made me sleepy for what you have written, I also like the subject "language" very much and I do treasure intelligent discussions on any issue, for we can learn a lot from each other. I strongly agree with you when you say:"Normative grammar intends to establish rules such as we speak this way and not that way, this way is wrong that one is right and so on. I don't like them because their rules are always full of exceptions. Language is a living, changing thing, and, as long communication is achieved, I think we can accept a lot of things too";For even the prescriptive norms they had to have an origins which can be expalined by the descriptive use of a language, so I ask...who in fact have the born-right to determinite the yeses and nos of a given language? I have got here Almeida's Gramática Metódica da Língua Portuguesa, he explain several things through their origins but tries to freeze Portuguese Grammar by the rules presented over thge book, so I can deduce that up to the time he wrote the book Grammar could be descriptively explained but them it had to stand still? That is the conclusion I drew after reading a some parts of this book. But I still ask you...at least prescreptive norms are not good to bind language more or less constant? By the beginning of the century our Portuguese had various orthography variations and so English, mainly the Old and Middle English, we would be speaking a totally different language from Portugal if it was not the prescreptive norms, what is your point of view? I shall surely look for the books you recommended. Thank you very much José Roberto

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
A question to Maria Valeska  –  José Roberto  06/OUT/2003, 1:09 PM
Re: A question to Maria Valeska  –  Maria Valeska  06/OUT/2003, 8:09 PM
Re: A question to Maria Valeska  –  pat  06/OUT/2003, 9:00 PM
Re: A question to Maria Valeska  –  Cibelle  07/OUT/2003, 12:23 AM
Re: A question to Maria Valeska  –  pat  07/OUT/2003, 8:48 AM
Re: A question to Maria Valeska  –  Maria Valeska  07/OUT/2003, 11:20 AM
Re: A question to Maria Valeska  –  pat  07/OUT/2003, 1:39 PM
Re: A question to Maria Valeska  –  Maria Valeska  08/OUT/2003, 11:08 AM
For Pat  –  José Roberto  09/OUT/2003, 12:50 AM