[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  José Roberto
E-mail:  josezambon@merconet.com.br
Data:  09/OUT/2003 1:32 PM
Assunto:  Re: present perfect

Mensagem:  Hello Sergio In news reports events that occurred will normally be introduced by the Present Perfect and then the Past Simple enters to give more details: The film star Jim Cooper has died of cancer. He was 68 and lived in Texas... source: Advanced Grammar in Use- Martin Hewings, page 8. Otherwise it depends on the focus you want to emphasise, if someone has recently passed away you could say "Mary has died" focusing that she is not here now because she died and when you say "Mary died" you are focusing on the action by itself, not necessarily the result of Mary's death (that she is not here now). But if it has happen long ago it would be better using the Past Simple. Taking your own sentence: "Though i have studied english for a long time, i still do not feel confortable when using the present perfect tense." it implies that you still don't feel very confident using the Present Perfect despite of the knowledge of English you have been accumulating throughout the period you started stdying English up to now. About preventing from using some verbs in this structure. No, you can use any state or action verb with the Present Perfect, but every action becomes a state when used the Present Perfect focusing the result now and pay attention how it occurred. The tendence to avoid using progressive or continuos forms for state verbs (like, love, believe, understand, know...) are also apply for the Present Perfect Progressive (I have been studying...) José Roberto

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
present perfect  –  sergio  09/OUT/2003, 12:24 PM
 Re: present perfect  –  José Roberto  09/OUT/2003, 1:32 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K