[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  mrobertson
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  09/OUT/2003 7:48 PM
Assunto:  Re: MODALS - Answer to PAT

Mensagem:  if only things were so black and white the so-called describers are setting up more rules than they would admit to the so-called prescriptions are not as 'hung up' about rules as they are portrayed mother-tongue speakers of english who go to a country where a 'latin-derived' language is spoken are exposed for their lack of knowledge of the structure of their own languages because they have enjoyed the dubious benefits of descriptive grammar. the benefits of descriptive grammar are plain - you don't have to learn anything formal or challenging, teachers don't have to teach anything which is causes 'student-resistance', and the overall 'dumbing down' as people fail to have an insight into the language they use makes everyone feel 'democratic' personally if i'm gonna use a language to negotiate my way through life i'd like to have a solid knowledge of the structural features which define the limits of use - the 'descriptivist' mantra is very laid back and cool ("that's just the way it is!") - but the loss of knowledge associated with such an academic trend far outweighs the benefits

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
MODALS - Answer to PAT  –  Bruno Kober  05/OUT/2003, 9:59 PM
Re: MODALS - Answer to PAT  –  Bruno Kober  05/OUT/2003, 11:24 PM
Re: MODALS - Answer to PAT  –  Maria Valeska  06/OUT/2003, 11:21 AM
 Re: MODALS - Answer to PAT  –  mrobertson  09/OUT/2003, 7:48 PM
Re: MODALS - Answer to PAT  –  José Roberto  09/OUT/2003, 11:15 PM
Re: MODALS - Answer to PAT  –  m robertson  10/OUT/2003, 6:27 AM
Re: MODALS - Answer to PAT  –  Maria Valeska  10/OUT/2003, 11:27 AM
Re: MODALS - Answer to PAT  –  brownie  06/OUT/2003, 9:11 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.