[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  pat
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  27/OUT/2003 9:42 AM
Assunto:  Re: hast thou ever?

Mensagem:  Thanks for answering my question, Jose! 'Voce ja'. Well, that seems 'easy' enough. As for the rest of y'all's responses to my somewhat pointless ruminations, well, they strike me as equally pointless and vapid; but what the hell - we clearly all have time to burn, non-sense to cogitate, rented mules to beat. A point to consider: I was using and intending relative terms, not absolutes. So for instance, MR , I didn't say or intend to imply that english is the 'most difficult of all' to learn. I agree with your implication (if it was what you intended), that I am still mono-lingual. I don't 'think' in Brazilian Portuguese, and probably never will until or unless I spend time in Brazil. Regarding 'nonsense', I do believe that to be the guiding rule for some conventions of English, in contrast to most of the rules in latin languages. Mis-interpret that as you wish. I am aware of the historical reasons for the nonsense of modern english, if that will save you proving your knowledge in that arena to me; if not, I'm 'all ears'. Obscure question: Is bliss only ignorance, or can it be other things also?

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
hast thou ever?  –  pat  26/OUT/2003, 3:20 PM
Re: hast thou ever?  –  Miguel Vieira  26/OUT/2003, 5:56 PM
Re: hast thou ever?  –  pat  26/OUT/2003, 8:34 PM
Re: hast thou ever?  –  Ran  26/OUT/2003, 9:14 PM
Re: hast thou ever?  –  m robertson  27/OUT/2003, 12:03 AM
 Re: hast thou ever?  –  pat  27/OUT/2003, 9:42 AM
Re: hast thou ever?  –  michael r  27/OUT/2003, 11:07 AM
Re: hast thou ever?  –  José Roberto  27/OUT/2003, 11:32 AM
Re: hast thou ever?  –  José Roberto  27/OUT/2003, 11:33 AM