[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  pat
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  05/NOV/2003 11:04 AM
Assunto:  Re: Thanks! Pat

Mensagem:  Caro Alexander, De nada. Of course Miguel is correct, an elite group does control Brazil, as well as every other country and society in the world. In my view, we can no more change that fact than change the earth's orbit around the sun. Equally true is the fact that in a very short time after popular revolutions, an elite is in control again, and again the majority lives in inequity. So what is the point of the desruction and bloodshed? In this country, Booker T Washington, in the midst of extreme racism, poverty, and inequity, made a huge improvement for the first free generation of southern blacks by ceaselessly promoting education and self-reliance. Later, Martin Luther King and many others started the 'civil rights movement', which was enormously effective and non-violent on the part of the down-trodden. Violent groups, such as the 'black panthers', simply ended up in jail and so unable to be useful for their cause. I have your mailing address, at some point I will send you some books. I'm not sure off-hand what they will be. Stay cool.

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Thanks! Pat  –  Alexander  04/NOV/2003, 7:40 PM
 Re: Thanks! Pat  –  pat  05/NOV/2003, 11:04 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K