[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  José Roberto
E-mail:  josezambon@merconet.com.br
Data:  07/NOV/2003 1:34 PM
Assunto:  Re: Cognates

Mensagem:  Meu caro amigo Pat - that away of beginning a message seems quite formal, but I like it :) Você disse: "Can you explain to me why such verb forms are not useful cognates? I can't 'imagine' why not. Eu não posso imagine por causa não." Hey Pat, I've realised and have observed (nothing scientifical mind you) that although the irregular verbs are in a lesser number than the regular ones, the basic verbs one needs to learn English are irregular: Read, write, go, come, write, say, hear, be... I think, and that is just a hunch, that we cannot find cogantes so often as we do with adjectives and nouns is the structure of both languages; English has a great deal of words originated from Latin and French but its structure is still Teutonic (Germanic?) so, Latin and French gave English lots of cognate words which one Romance-speaker can abuse of using them, but verbs are essentially part of the mechanism of English, for that reason they (the Portuguese and English verbs) don't match. We don't have such things as modal verbs, you do not have a formal future tense or at least a set of forms which can be used exclusively as future. I have a French grammar book and it says that most of the new verbs are regular like: phone (telephone), use... and one can find some cognates within this set of verbs. By the way: I think the only "old" verb which "matches" in a sense is the verb 'have' (haver in Portuguese) and this verb exists in Portuguese, German, Dutch, Spanish, French.... Fique com Deus José Roberto Obs1: Require = requerer (in Portuguese) Obs2: Although they match, I think it is rare to find some one saying "commence", isn't it?

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Cognates  –  pat  06/NOV/2003, 8:16 PM
Re: Cognates  –  André Oliveira  07/NOV/2003, 9:25 AM
Re: Cognates  –  pat  07/NOV/2003, 10:12 AM
Re: Cognates  –  André Oliveira  07/NOV/2003, 11:00 AM
 Re: Cognates  –  José Roberto  07/NOV/2003, 1:34 PM
Re: Cognates  –  pat  08/NOV/2003, 11:32 AM
Re: Cognates  –  José Roberto  08/NOV/2003, 12:10 PM
Re: Cognates  –  Maria Valeska  12/NOV/2003, 12:49 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.