[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Miguel Vieira
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  09/NOV/2003 10:16 PM
Assunto:  Re: Lusofonia

Mensagem:  I noted you said that Negros in Brazil should not precisely emulate the American Negro strategy, well, I must say that I disagree. You see, the American Negro (African-American) is the most well-to-do of all the others in the "Mundo Negro", diaspora and continent (AFRICA). It was precisely due to their tenacious effort that Negros began to be treated with more respect and dignity. It might surprise you, but 50 years ago, the condition of the American Negro was exactly the same as of the Brasilian Negro. For instance, in the media, Negros could only be seen as maids, attletes, musicians, etc. Nevertheless, after the 1960's things changed dramatically. Now, the images that are shown are much more balanced. Still, I must say that risidual racism in still very much present. This is evedenced in the fact that negative images of Blacks are much more profitable. Positive images of Negros are rarelly viewed as profitable by white america. Now, does that say something about the psyches? You bet!!! And by the way, here too, the discussion of raceracism is very uncomfortable to the descendands of the former slave masters. But being silent is not going to cure the problem, if anything it implies that one agrees. Finally, I salute you Brasilian people for being yourselves. The fact of the matter is that such concepts as "Lusofonia", "Francofonia" and "Anglofonia" are nothing but neo-colonial and racist endevors to keep the ex-colonies in "their place".

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Lusofonia  –  Miguel Vieira.  07/NOV/2003, 6:55 PM
Re: Lusofonia  –  José Roberto  08/NOV/2003, 9:35 AM
Re: Lusofonia  –  Miguel Vieira  08/NOV/2003, 6:19 PM
Re: Lusofonia  –  José Roberto  09/NOV/2003, 10:39 AM
 Re: Lusofonia  –  Miguel Vieira  09/NOV/2003, 10:16 PM
Re: Lusofonia  –  Maria Valeska  12/NOV/2003, 1:57 PM
Re: Lusofonia  –  misael  19/MAI/2004, 10:27 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K