[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  orlando
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  11/NOV/2003 8:35 PM
Assunto:  Re: Concordância

Mensagem:  Ve se este resumo ajuda a tirar suas duvidas. If there are two subjects joined by and, use a plural verb: My mother and father are coming to visit. My sisters and my brother take a trip together every year. If the subjects are joined by or, the verb must agree with the nearest subject: Either Danny or Sandy is handling it. The boys or their mother attends every meeting of the Adventure Club. Linking verbs in subjective completions agree with the subject, not the completion: My favourite thing to buy is compact discs. Compund subjects preceded by 'each', 'every', or 'many a' take a singular verb: Eg. Each dog and cat has its own supper-dish. When a sentence uses an indefinite pronoun, ask yourself if the pronoun refers to one or many things. Most indefinite pronouns require a singular verb. The following indefinite pronouns are singular and therefore require a singular verb: anybody, anyone, anything, each, either, everybody, everyone, everything, much, neither, nobody, no one, nothing, one, somebody, someone, and something. Examples: Each of the students is responsible for meeting with the professor after an absence. Somebody has stolen my wallet. Neither of the applicants meets the requirements of the job. The indefinite pronouns all, any, half, more, most, none, and some may be singular or plural, depending on whether the pronoun refers to something singular or plural. Examples: All of my children are in college. (There is more than one child, so the verb is plural.) All of the attention is given to one disruptive student. (Attention is singular, so the verb is singular.)

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Concordância  –  Luíza  11/NOV/2003, 2:32 PM
 Re: Concordância  –  orlando  11/NOV/2003, 8:35 PM
Re: Concordância  –  Lucas  12/NOV/2003, 1:49 AM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K