[  EMB's Main Menu  |  Forum Index  |  Cadastro  |  Search  ]

ENGLISH
PORTUGUESE
 LINGUISTICS & CULTURE

Autor:  Miguel Vieira
E-mail:  não-disponível
Data:  21/NOV/2003 2:48 PM
Assunto:  Re: Viagem

Mensagem:  Prezada, Tennessee and Arkansas are both located in the &"deep south&" The term(s) &"deep south&" is both geographical and cultural at same time. Florida is much more Complex, you got the Cubans, you got the Hatians, you got the Afro-Americans, you got the Anglos, you got the rich elderly people, et cetera. In Tennessee and Arkansas, however, you mainly have two people BLACK and WHITE. They are much more race conscious. But that's not a problem. When they see you, they won't necessarily see you as either one, they'll see you more like a curiosity, specially when you speak and they hear your accent. Get ready for zillions of questions. They way they view groups and individuals are totally different. I passeed through there once. Don't be surprised if they think you speak spanish as a native language. A lot of them think Brazil is a spanish speaking country. As for the social life, I think you'll like it for the most part, though I must say that it will be a lot less intense than in Florida, but ok nonetheless. Overall, you will enjoy yourself. After all, southerners are very friendly people. It's going to be a really good learning experience. Good Luck -Miguel Vieira

Envie uma resposta
Índice de mensagens

English Made in Brazil -- English, Portuguese, & contrastive linguistics
Viagem  –  Cibélle  21/NOV/2003, 1:22 PM
 Re: Viagem  –  Miguel Vieira  21/NOV/2003, 2:48 PM
Re: Viagem  –  pat  21/NOV/2003, 4:39 PM
Re: Viagem  –  Miguel Vieira  22/NOV/2003, 5:31 PM
Re: Viagem  –  pat  22/NOV/2003, 9:17 PM
Re: Viagem  –  Miguel Vieira  23/NOV/2003, 6:05 PM
Re: Viagem  –  pat  23/NOV/2003, 7:16 PM

Contents of this forum are copy-free.
By S&K